Monday, July 21, 2003

Blogging In the Not So Daily Mode

Been travel'n. All work related. Makes Randy a dull boy.

And of course, now that I'm back, I get to dig out from the email which I couldn't retrieve and respond to, the work that's piled up, and the phone messages (which I mostly ignore, but still . . .).

Can't wait for wireless everywhere. Oh, and don't like hauling around a laptop, either.

For this trip I needed a Windows laptop to demonstrate software, so I got a temporary one - a new Sony VAIO. It was small, light, with integrated wireless. I hated it, even disregarding the typically aggravating Windows nonsense.

Here's the one tell-tale. The power cord "wrap" was a foot long piece of velcro. Thank you very much. Most of the time, it's caught in its own snarl. I compare to the thoughtful Apple engineering. They'd never put up with that (Steve Jobs would put someone's head on a pike for even suggesting it). And this was Sony. I expected more from them. But the machine was in a plain box, no setup instructions, and in less than 1 week's gentle use the CD/DVD door fell off and the whole thing was already beginning to looked scuffed and shabby. I returned it gladly to Circuit City with their "No Questions Asked" policy. Of course, they asked me 2 questions, but I let them off without calling them on the issue. They wanted to know if anything was wrong with it and I was charitable in telling them "no, it worked, but didn't meet my needs".

No comments: