Friday, March 12, 2004

Jazz at Lincoln Center NewsFlash

Last week, while traveling in the UK, I learned that my oldest daughter Kathleen's jazz band has been selected as one of the top high school jazz bands and will participate in the Essentially Ellington competition and festival!

Jazz at Lincoln Center NewsFlash

We're all going on the trip - she's very excited (as am I). They'll be competing and playing with 14 other bands. Most of these bands are "from the coasts" and many are performing arts schools. Westerville South is a public school, one of three in Westerville, so this is quite an accomplishment. No other Ohio schools were selected, frankly none from the mid-west or for that matter, the entire center of the country.

Kathleen is really coming along playing the string bass - and she's featured in the Ellington original "Jack The Bear". She's the engine of a this amazing little band.

Back when I was in high school I played in our high school jazz band for my freshman year. I really enjoyed it. This was the era of Maynard Ferguson Maynard Ferguson and Chuck Mangione Chuck Mangione. It was all about driving brass and we played more rock and pop than true jazz. And we didn't have a bass. Kathleen's band really swings - right now they have about ten Ellington charts (originals, as written for his orchestra) under their belts.

Proud papa, indeed.

No comments: