Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Scary Graphs and Incomprehensible Systems

I do it just to torture myself, but every day I visit this site:

Current Electoral Vote Predictor 2004

Regardless of your political leanings, this type of "predict the outcome" based on polling and projections is stomach churning. In the past few weeks the us map displayed there has shifted wildly.

I restate my advice on polls: lie. Polls are a fundamental invasion of privacy and a direct attempt to nail down the future. Resist! If you're approached, phoned, or mailed by a pollster, run away. Or better yet, take the poll and lie - take the opposite viewpoint from your actual one. Encourage your friends and relatives to do the same.

The only way to stop them is to make them wildly inaccurate. Still can't stop checking the damn site, though . . .

No comments: