Tuesday, March 22, 2005

The Exact Same Thing Happened To Me

Tom Waits on his cherished albums of all time
"14 Passion for Opera Aria (EMI Classics) 1994

I heard 'Nessun Dorma' in the kitchen at Coppola's with Raul Julia one night, and it changed my life, that particular Aria. I had never heard it. He asked me if I had ever heard it, and I said no, and he was like, as if I said I've never had spaghetti and meatballs - 'Oh My God, Oh My God!' - and he grabbed me and he brought me into the jukebox (there was a jukebox in the kitchen) and he put that on and he just kind of left me there. It was like giving a cigar to a five-year old. I turned blue, and I cried."


Upon reading this I instantly reached for my iPod and found Jose Carreras singing this. It is utter bliss.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Vincero!

Nessun Dorma special song for many in the world... including those people who performed it in a large competition about a decade ago. And isn't it intriguing that "Vincero" translates to "I shall win!" Destiny - because we won the competition.

Bravo. I hope more people reach for this song wherever they can find it.