Thursday, June 09, 2005

Not A General Diagnosis . . . oh look - shiny!

CNN.com - ADHD adults struggle to focus - Jun 9, 2005 "Hallmarks of attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) can include a lack of focus and impulsiveness. It's also known as attention deficit disorder (ADD), a term many adults use because they are not hyperactive. Adults with attention disorders describe having great stores of energy and creativity, but trouble focusing it."

ADD, ADHD, Asperger Syndrome are all new excuses and labels, but for very few they're accurate diagnosis. Yes, I know a lot of programmers with poor social skills, but very few I'd suspect of a specific disorder. It is easy to say, "hey, I have trouble concentrating and I never get anything done, I mush have ADD!" If you think that, go get a diagnosis from a professional.

On the other hand, I do know a few that may have bovine spongiform encephalopathy (go ahead, try it, it's fun to say!).

OK, people don't get BSE. They get Creutzfeldt-Jacob Disease - not as fun to say.

No comments: