Friday, October 21, 2005

Another great idea


But what will we have floating over our heads when we come up with the next one?

Quantum dots that produce white light could be the light bulb's successor | Science Blog: "Take an LED that produces intense, blue light. Coat it with a thin layer of special microscopic beads called quantum dots. And you have what could become the successor to the venerable light bulb."

LEDs and their cousins, OLEDs, have enormous potential in changing the way we light up the world as well as use energy. And I certainly look forward to at least one Saturday when I'm not replacing a light bulb somewhere in the house.

But could someone tell me where I could get an LED conversion kit for my trusty 3 D cell Maglite flashlight? I love the thing. Sure, I could get a small, light, palm-sized LED flashlight that produced more light, but the thing is more a weapon than a light source and it's damn comforting when padding around the house at night trying to figure out what made that strange noise.

1 comment:

Hedwig said...

My similar request is to have such new technologies be able to work in the old receptacles as well (or, at least, have some versions that do). My 'favorite' is a little desk lamp that takes a conventional 40w 'high intensity' bulb -- it's a little round guy with a smallish base, not your standard lamp base.

No problem getting bulbs for it now, but I'd love to find a fluorescent substitute or even the new technology described in this post that will (someday, as electricity costs rise steeply, at least for a while) fit into my nice nifty existing desk lamp that I love to pieces.

And: anyone know where I can get R39 bulbs in this country? I've got a great desk/table lamp that takes them -- and I haven't been able to find bulbs in this country for it for years. Ones you can buy from, say, UK on the web are designed for their higher voltages and won't work in my US-voltage lamp (sigh)...