Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Hey, I wanted one of these when I was a kid!


Well, not this thing, but close. Wired News: Machine Makes Dishes on Demand

When I read this paragraph, I knew exactly what they were doing.

"MIT Media Lab's Counter Intelligence Group, which develops innovative kitchen designs, has created a machine that makes dishes on demand and recycles them after diners have finished a meal. The dishes are made from food-grade, nontoxic acrylic wafers, which are shaped into cups, bowls and plates when heated, then resume their original wafer shape when they are reheated and pressed."

My friend, Bill Bailey (yes, just like the song) had one and it was so cool. It was the Mattel Thingmaker Strange Change Lost World Set! You had these little plastic cubes, but when you put them in the special chamber, they turned into dinosaurs! Then you could compress them back into little squares.

Oh, and I remember burning my fingers on the hot plate that caused them to change. That's probably why they took them off the market. But from my perspective as a 7 year old boy, the danger was part of the attraction.

I also will note that as a sign of my growing self control, I did not automatically buy one of these off of eBay the second I remembered this bit of childhood.

No comments: