Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Richard Nixon Back Again

My daughter knows all the words to "We Didn't Start The Fire" by Billy Joel - and she's interested in what all the names and events mean.

Sometimes, history has a way of repeating itself that's simply not funny at all.

Capitol Hill Blue: White House keeps dossiers on more than 10,000 'political enemies'

So, how do I get on the list?

Oh, for the breakdown of the lyrics, if you didn't live through most of it like the rest of us old farts, click here.

,

1 comment:

Hedwig said...

A suggestion: the movie "Good Night and Good Luck" is now playing at several different locations in town. This would be a good start for some looking at a few of these names.

I also recommend Zinn's People's History of the U.S. If reading the whole book is not on the slate, looking up some of the names in the index and reading about them might be a good way to handle getting the info.

In addition, the People's Almanac might work even better in terms of coverage.

I looked at the link to the lyrics and many of the links there are OK in quality and accuracy, but the site needs updating.

Great song! As it happens, I know the history but didn't know the song till I read your piece (although I know and admire much of Billy Joel's work).