Monday, March 20, 2006

Just Bury Me In A Captain Kirk Coffin

CNN.com - Scenes from Homer found in Cyprus 'warrior tomb' - Mar 20, 2006 "In one large painting, Ulysses and his comrades escape from the blind Cyclops Polyphemos' cave, hidden under a flock of sheep. Another depicts a battle between Greeks and Trojans from the Iliad."

This is an astounding find, but reading about a warrior being buried in a coffin decorated with scenes from the Odyssey made me smile. Essentially, he was buried in a pop culture themed grave. It's like having a NASCAR funeral, or being buried in a box decorated with scenes of the Death Star and Ice Planet Hoth.

Don't get me wrong. I believe the Odyssey is one of our greatest stories - a remarkable piece of literature. But I also don't forget that it was popular entertainment for people 2,500 years ago.

OK, so I want to be cremated, after anything useful is removed. But before you light the fire, dress me in my Star Fleet best.

, ,

No comments: