Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Mister Password Changing Man

One of the really unpleasant things about working in management is the occasional need to fire people. Not "Lay Off". Fire. Sometimes it has too happen.

Rarely have I needed to fire someone because they were bad at their job, lazy, incompetent. Those are easy. I don't mind that at all. Mostly I've been in the position of economic necessity or changing requirements staff reductions. That's what I've been doing today.

My day job is a small company and we had two offices - we kept the 2nd up till now because we really liked the people in the Minneapolis office and wanted to work with them. But as a small company it was very hard to manage and a big duplication of a lot of expenses. So we made the decision last week and today we made it happen. I'm back here in the home office. I held the meeting, alerted the staff, all of who were staying, and started the process of "changing the locks".

A lot of those people are my friends. It depresses me and honestly hurts. No easy way around it.

Simply a fact of life. So, all this afternoon I've been sitting with operations and changing accounts, passwords, logins, emails. Just like a funeral, but not as much fun.

No comments: