Tuesday, October 21, 2003

An Ageless Project

Tripped across this one today: the ageless project.

Of course, I signed right up, shameless self promoter that I am. But I'm not sure how useful it is. I am pleased to see that all bloggers aren't 20 years old (or worse, 13 year old girls). And I once again confirmed that most blogs I find aren't terribly interesting.

You see, for me, age was important. Age and experience. When I left grad school at 25 with a "terminal" degree in playwrighting, I knew that I didn't really have anything to say. I wasn't mature enough, both as a person and a writer, to put down anything that wasn't all surface. I knew I needed time. At 25, when asked, I called myself a playwright. See? I have the paperwork to back it up and this nifty certificate. I just needed more time to make it true.

How long? Looks like about 20 years.

Now I'm feeling more in control of my "instrument". My picture of the universe is clearer and more verified. I've had enough time to make mistakes, get a few things right, and slowly fill in the gaps in my education and reading that 19 years of formal education left.

So, who is this guy, Randy Murray, at 43 years old? Ask me what I do and I can give you several answers. I'm an executive in the software industry with nearly 20 years experience in marketing and development. I'm a husband and father with 2 daughters who are bright, talented, and have phenomenal prospects.

But ask me what I am.

I am a writer. I don't think you'll see any plays out of me for a while, but I still think in those terms - it's excellent training. I write short fiction and will on occasion, publish a story or two here. I consider a novel from time to time, but haven't committed to finishing one. Yet.

And I write this journal. This is not a "throw-away" activity. It's not pencil sharpening or warming up. This activity is an important outlet, a publishing outlet, and perhaps a small audience for me as a writer. I value it.

No comments: