Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Give in to distraction

My new office is positioned so that all of the voices from the customer service staff out in the cubicle farm is funneled right in. This afternoon the noise started building up, distracting me, so I turned on and turned up my stereo. I keep it turned to 87.9, WOSU, our local classical music station. Some nondescript piano music was playing and that did the trick.

But soon they announced they'd be playing the 'New World' Symphony by Dvorak. It is a piece of such beauty and wonder that I knew it would prove more distracting than the noise from outside my door. As the largo began, I found I could do nothing but close my eyes and feel the deep, heartbreaking music wash over me. Ah! Ah!

From outward appearances I'm a cool and unemotional fellow, but that's only the facade. Oh my, the sweet pain of this new world. What loss, what unimaginable loss?

This music isn't a distraction - it calls me to complete focus, complete attention.

No comments: