Tuesday, May 17, 2005

The Hitchhicker's Guide Is Not A PDA

My friend Patrick over at Macinstuff is trying to wean himself from his Palm.

Macinstuff: A Week With My iPod As PDA (Part 1)

I've already done it - it didn't happen on purpose. I just don't use the thing anymore. I was a very early adopter and used my original Palm Pilot for everything. But now, not so much.

I've discovered that I no longer use my trusty (not rusty) old Palm IIIc. It sits on my desk, in its cradle and I sync it But I don't carry it any more.

Of course, I must quote Douglas Adams: "Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-eight million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea."

I don't use my iPod as a PDA either. Frankly, I don't use anything to carry around my calendar. But I do have most of my contacts on my phone. I do use a Moleskine notebook, but not for the mundane - that's where all of my research for my current play project is.

You know why I think I don't use my Palm much anymore? I don't want too be that organized. I can see my schedule on my computer screen - that's enough. I don't really get out of the office much, so if you want to meet with me, call me at the office and I'll set up a meeting. Other times, eh.

As to digital watches, another "eh". I'm thinking about getting a pocket watch and start wearing vests.

No comments: