Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Missing the Point on Home Theater

Chicago Tribune | ENTERTAINMENT CENTERS EVOLVE : "'It's going to appeal to the consumer who doesn't want their living space to look like a home theater,' Stout said."

I'll admit it. I'm a complete home theater bigot. Yes, I can see that Ethan Allen is jumping on the bandwagon for flat screen TV storage, but hey, if you're watching a TV, you're not doing home theater.

We in the hobby have long, often heated debates over exactly what home theater is. The term is in danger of becoming useless.

So, here's my definition: a home theater is a dedicated space specifically designed for watching movies and high-definition television broadcast. The minimum requirements include surround sound (5.1 at a minimum), acoustic treatment, light control, and (here's the critical part) a very large PROJECTED image.

So, if you're watching a TV, even a big TV in a living room, it ain't a home theater. If you bought everything you need at Walmart in a box, it ain't a home theater. I'm not saying it's bad or you shouldn't do it, just that it isn't a home theater. And even with my definition there are a very wide range of theaters possible. I've seen them in garages, in attics, even in mobile homes. There's literally no limit on how much or little you spend as long as it's a room dedicated to the purpose, with a projected image and surround sound.

Many of us in the hobby call ours "screening rooms". I typically say, "I have a movie theater in my home."

2 comments:

Hedwig said...

You're right! I've got a video projector (the kind you give lectures with) and surround sound equipment in my basement, hooked up to a computer and a VTR. I project a nice big image -- up to 13 feet wide -- against the far wall, and dim the lights from a wall switch. I can show VHS and DVDs -- and even slideshows of photographs from my computer. (I don't have HD TV and don't watch any TV.)

I bought the projector, wired the components together, it suits my budget -- and it works just great!

Hedwig said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.