Tuesday, October 25, 2005

My Kingdom For A Floppy!

My, how times change!

My daughter has a project at school. She'd like to work on the project there and also at home.

"Fine," I say. "Email it to yourself."

"I can't email from the lab computers. I can put it on a floppy."

But we use Macs at home and Macs haven't had disc or floppy drives for YEARS. So today I went out, grumbling, and bought a "flash" drive, which is nothing more than a hunk o'memory on a USB dongle. 512 meg. Cost me $42, but I'll get $10 back after rebate. So now Jennifer can transport files between home and school.

And yes, I'm still grumbling. I carry 60 freak'n GIGABYTES in my pocket with over 10,000 songs, 6,000 digital pictures, all of my personal files, and still have over 3 gig left.

What do I want? I want a 100 terabyte drive in my watch with everywhere high speed access to the net. No more grumbling then, no sir. Oh, and my Virtual Light sunglasses, please?




"Virtual Light" (William Gibson)



,

No comments: