Friday, May 30, 2003

A Scary Idea

This is a scary idea: Elephants to protect forests.

I can't say I disapprove, but training wild animals that are also fairly intelligent surely has the potential for a B grade horror movie.

Oh wait, here it is: thank you, Mr. Crichton.

Which leads to another rather bizarre idea I've had for some time. On occasion I hear about someone that's interested in attempting to bring back the mastodon. From what I've seen, we're confident they "disappeared" about 10,000 years ago in pretty sort order. It's also clear that we had something to do with it.

OK, other than the possibility that they were tasty, what if they were very intelligent and nasty. See, there's your next horror movie. A well meaning team of scientists bring back a huge heard, thinking them gentle giants, only to discover they have a deep, genetic hatred of man.

Oh, sorry, Crichton beat me to that one, too.

And while I'm harping about Crichton, please, someone, force an editor on this man. I have a feeling that there's a real writer in there, if only someone could tell him, "let's drop the first half of this thing and don't despair over the red ink, dear. It's for your own good."

No comments: