Wednesday, October 08, 2003

Getting Old (but not that old)

I was born in 1960, which made me too young for the summer of love. Didn't matter. I was raised in a strict religious community, so no free love'n for me, even if I'd been old enough!

No regrets there, just fodder for perspective. I also did all of my dating between 1978 and 1981. Just enough to give me some rather painful disco memories (god, how clueless I was), just get the hang of asking out girls, then married!

That also put me safely monogamous for the last 22 years, protected from nasties like HIV and Herpes. I shudder to think about me trying to date again. Yikes. Happily married, thank you, and I'll just stay that way if I have anything to say about it.

But that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy looking at a pleasing female form. I enjoy it a great deal. I just don't know what to make of this: The Second Annual Blogger Boobie-Thon for Breast Cancer.

It's an excellent cause. I'm well aware of the problems. My sister-in-law is a survivor of breast cancer. I'm the father of two daughters. I'm concerned about their health as well.

It's just that I wonder about tying the two together. I'm not sure it's an outright bad idea. Frankly, there are some excellent "racks" displayed there. I guess I'm more surprised that so many are willing to lift their shirts and send in photos. Sure, many are anonymous, for the most part. Maybe I'm just sensing a bit of the generation gap. Always been a bit of a square.

Are young women really that much more sexually open and available than they were 20 years ago? I'm not concerned about myself - that's not a problem I have to face. But how do you prepare a kid for life like that?

You know, that whole burka thing is growing on me.

No comments: