Monday, October 06, 2003

Something A Bit More Pleasant To Think About

Diane says I can't quit my job and operate a theater and convention center out of our basement, so I decided to turn my mind to other pleasant thoughts. Here's something delightful from the New York Times.

88 Keys, Many Languages Be sure to see the slideshows and listen to the audio.

I myself am a "hack" piano player. I can read music, but I have no theory. Good ear, poor training. So I play for my own enjoyment, and not enough at that. A couple of years ago I got the bug and upgraded from the really quite good Baldwin "Hamilton" studio piano, to a wonderful Baldwin baby grand. Mine is the model M1 Artist Series in traditional ebony.

Sure, if I had the $$$ I'd have looked at the Steinway, but frankly, it's too much piano for me. The Baldwin is an excellent instrument, far superior to the cheap Korean and Japanese pianos. It has a rich, powerful sound and terrific feel.

If there's time, I'll spend some time at that keyboard tonight.

No comments: