Friday, October 10, 2003

Kelly Mayhew, R.I.P.

Yesterday a friend and college, Kelly Mayhew, passed away. He'd been in hospice for the last few days, so it wasn't a surprise. He fought and lost the battle with cancer for over long two years.

I met Kelly in 1999. For two years he worked as our in-house graphic designer and reported directly to me. He was talented and fast, an unusual quality for a designer. He had a wide ranging career, including work for Disney. He was also the designer for the logo for Heinz Field, home of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Two years ago, just before he learned of his cancer, I had to fire him in a round of job cuts and typical for Kelly, he expressed sympathy for me in having to make the call.

Kelly was one of the good guys. I spoke with him just last week. He could no longer walk, but still wanted to work. It is some comfort to me that I'd been able to supply him with a steady supply of free lance jobs. Lately, the jobs didn't have deadlines.

I've got few enough friends that I can't afford to lose any of them. My thoughts are with his family and loved ones as we all prepare for life without Kelly.

No comments: