Monday, May 19, 2003

At The Movies With Captain Randy

I feel like I'm getting behind on the summer movies already and it's
not even summer.

We did manage to see X-Men 2 (or X-Men United - I'm not really sure
what the name of the movie is - more on that later). I did enjoy it
and here's a number of things I really liked:
  • Violence with
    consequences - I detest "A-Team" style violence - everyone firing guns,
    taking punches and no one gets hurt. When Wolverine get angry, people
    get killed. Don't twist my words - I'm not interested in death and
    mayhem and can't stand splatter movies - but when events get to the
    point when violent action is the only course, I want to see what that
    means. It means the people are injured or killed - so let's see it.
    Congratulations, Mr. Singer, for breaking out of the trite super-hero
    mode where people with enormous strength or powers only knock people
    about.
  • Ian McKellen is a god. His performance as Magneto is a wonder.
    From his confinement in a plastic cage, beaten and drugged, to the
    moment when he notices "there's something different about you" and his
    escape I find him completely believable. He's utterly comfortable in
    his skin. As he meets and teams up with the X-Men, he's at ease and
    amused, but deadly.
  • Brian Cox is a wonderful villain - he's given believable motivation
    and manages to be a credible threat to this group with astounding
    powers without overplaying it. Without spoilers, he doesn't disappoint
    even at the end.
  • Nightcrawler! I also credit Alan Cummings for both the physical
    performance and for managing a character that is both meek and
    fearless. And bravo again, Mr. Singer, for having a character that is
    deeply religious - a ground that many are fearful to tread without
    mockery.

I was less satisfied with the fate of Jean Grey. Yes, those of us that
have knowledge of the comic version of the X-Men know what's going on.
And of course, it's easy to see the points where the hints at greater
power and a potential transformation clear. Somehow, they didn't do it
for me. And I know Singer is capable of it. The Usual Suspects
is one of my favorite films and a model of subtlety and master editing
to the same effect.

Oh, and didn't Storm have an accent in the last film?

Still, fun, action packed, a great summer movie.

Cross-posted at "The Owl's
Perch"


No comments: