Thursday, May 22, 2003

The Book Of Hats

Last night Diane and I stepped out to pay a bill and do a little summer clothes shopping for her. On the way to the checkout I saw a display of men's hats. I tried a few on, and after a moment's debate, passed.

I love hats. I'm wearing at this writing a black baseball cap with a grey suede bill from the Crown Plaza in Manhattan. It's one of my favorites (fortunately, we got four from our trip in November of 2000 and I've been wearing them ever since). I like it because fits close to the head, comfortable, warm, and protective. The bill is pre "cupped". Unfortunately, it's dark color and non-porous material make it too hot to wear in the summer.

I have many hats, but not as many as I would like. I'd love for the wearing of hats to come back into fashion. Every time I see a movie set in the period from the 20's to the early 60's I think, "wow, that would be great."

I have the following:
  • 3 remaining Crown Plaza caps
  • a similar cap, well worn and in grey check with "Hatteras Island" stitched on the front.
  • A white cap with black bill with "Power On Software - more suitable for warm weather wear, but getting grubby.
  • A big, "Indiana Jones" style beaver fedora - great hat. I've had it probably 15 years. Purchased in New Orleans at "Hats In The Belfry". It's also a cool weather hat.
  • An Australian made and styled felt hat - round top and rigid brim - I like it a lot, but rarely wear it.
  • A new grey felt crushable fedora for winter wear - nice hat
  • My Tilley Endurables hat. Here's a great hat. Mine is well worn and sweat stained, but great for the beach and summer wear. Probably the best for protection and outdoor warm weather protection.
  • A blue suede summer fedora with mesh top - breathable and only slightly silly looking.
  • Many ancient and hard used seed corn and work hats - part of my little know previous life as a farmer and construction worker - I still have my hard hat as well, plus another I picked up recently for no good reason.
  • Various stocking caps

My youngest daughter complains when I stop to look at a new hat and complains, "Daddy, you don't need any more hats!"

Oh, but I do. As a bald man, something I have absolutely no vanity or complaint about, I need protection from the sun as well as the surprising amount of thing you can scrape your head on when it's not covered with hair. (As an aside, I often note other men in public with "comb-overs" and embarrassingly spare hair they've grown long and styled, thinking no one will notice. Everyone does. Embrace your baldness. Cut it short, shave the stragglers. Bear it proudly.)

But hats, I need one for every occasion, every mood. I need a sharp haberdasher who can keep them sharp and steamed. If I had my druthers, I'd dress every day for work in a three-piece suit and matching hat, equipped and prepared for any contingency. And I'd love to do it without affectation and claim of eccentricity.

Oh, and I'll need my walking stick.

No comments: