Wednesday, June 04, 2003

SETI @ Home

I can see that the PC behind me has just picked up the 1219th work unit
in my little search for intelligent life in the universe. It's one of
4 machines I've got using their spare processing power to work on this
little task. I had one other online, but it's off on someone else's
desk now, no longer part of the search.

I started several years ago, then dropped off after nearly 1000 units,
using just one machine. When they popped back up in the news lately I
decided to load it up again, with some real horsepower. My desktop at
work is a Dual 1 ghz G4 PowerMac. It rips through work units at nearly
2 a day. The old PC behind me takes 4 days to get through 1. It's too
bad the software can't use both processors - I'd love to see how fast
that'd go.

Why do this? I'm not sure we'll ever find anything this way, but it's
worth the spare processing. Plus, it's a neat screen saver. Other
than that, it's a fascinating start at using the computers connected to
the net as more than just advanced TVs. There's power out there, and
possibility.

What possibilities? Ah, talk to Mr. Dyson (not that one, his son, Esther's brother).

Links:
SETI @ Home
SETI
Darwin Among The Machines - By George Dyson

No comments: